India, a beautiful country and civilisation, is a truly unique mix of sights, sounds, colours and experiences as well as a culture-shock of astonishing contrasts. Immerse yourself in this tour and prepare for a once in a lifetime experience.
The jewel of this tour is surely the Taj Mahal in the early morning, when its colours and ethereal beauty is at its most amazing. Built to house the tomb of Mumtaz Mahal, Emperor Jahan’s wife, it took 20,000 men 22 years to finish it. The end result transcends the extraordinary world monument it is. The tomb represents the ultimate expression of a pure and enduring love, a tangible expression of the unquantifiable.
But there’s more. You have the chance to see the real India, a subcontinent that covers the full gamut of evolution, from the natural world, including the nation’s unofficial symbol, the tiger, in Ranthambore, through the Rajasthan forts and palaces of the Moghul Empire, to the more recent Raj and British colonial influence.
- Stay for three nights in Rajasthan, regarded as India’s most colourful state, a region fringed by deserts, populated by a fiercely proud, warrior race and a plethora of forts and palaces. No area in all of India more clearly illustrates the paradox of ancient and modern which exist side by side.
- Stay in Rajasthan’s capital city of Jaipur, known as the ‘Pink City’ due to the colour of its walls and so many of its buildings, and visit the Maharajah’s City Palace as well as the great Amber Fort, one of the masterpieces of Rajput architecture, guarding the northern approaches to the city.
- Delve deeper into the culture and history of Rajasthan with your stay at the Alsisar Mahal, a restored fort, converted into one of the region’s best heritage hotels. A wonderfully romantic setting where Belgian crystal chandeliers hang above exquisite marble floors, cut from the very quarries that supplied the builders of the Taj Mahal.
On selected departures your tour continues on to the hill-station of Shimla, effectively the summer capital of India during the Raj. At over 7,300ft, the cooler climate made this the ideal location to escape from the searing summer temperatures on the plains below. Victorian engineers managed to build one of the marvels of Indian Railways, the 96-kilometre narrow-gauge line to Shimla, which is now a UNESCO World Heritage site. Your journey takes you along those very tracks laid by those intrepid imperial engineers more than a century ago.
But India is not all history and architecture – genuine Indian cuisine is far more varied and interesting than what you are used to at home. From a simple hot chapatti fresh from the oven, to the delicate spices of Kheer, a sweet rice pudding, a trip to India will change your view of Indian cookery – and don’t worry, many of the curries are quite mild!
This fantastic tour with Riviera Travel encompasses the very best of northern India, ensuring a lifetime of truly amazing memories.
- A wonderful tour of northern India’s ‘Golden Triangle’ with additional visits to see tigers at Ranthambore National Park and a stay at a heritage hotel in Rajasthan
- Return direct scheduled flights (option to upgrade to Premium Economy for an additional cost)
- Stay in hand-picked three, four and five-star hotels with daily breakfast and eight meals included
- Visit all the major sights of Old and New Delhi
- See the breathtaking Taj Mahal bathed in soft morning light, gazing in awe at the simple purity of its white marble and the exquisite craftsmanship of its inlay work
- Spend two nights in the ‘Pink City’ of Jaipur, capital of the desert kingdom of Rajasthan and home to the Palace of the Winds, enjoying a guided tour of its City Palace and astronomical observatory
- Marvel at the extraordinary location and beauty of Amber Fort, home of one of India’s most powerful Maharajas
- Stay in an original Rajasthani fort, beautifully converted into a stunning Heritage Hotel
- Enjoy a guided tour of the 400-year old deserted Moghul city of Fatehpur Sikri
- Visit Shimla, the summer capital of the Raj and ‘Queen of Hill Stations’ set high in the foothills of the Himalayas and stay in the luxurious Oberoi Cecil Hotel
- Travel on the famous Shimla railway
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
Discover your very own Indian Adventure on this 15 day tour from only £1,799 per person! Selected departure dates are available up to November 2016 and January 2017 to November 2017. To find out more about this amazing tour and to book, get in touch with your Travel Counsellors.